Learning Support FAQs

Q. How do I make a referral to Learning Support?

Let's tlak learning support

Step 1

Speak with a member of staff about your concerns

complete a referral form

Step 2

Complete a referral form

consent to share information

Step 3

Give consent to share information

Learning support consultation

Step 4

Arrange your initial Consultation

  • Q. Who is Learning Support for?

    A. Learning Support is available for all students at Wolsey Hall. At different stages in your homeschooling journey, you may find that there are times when you have questions about the best way to study, how to improve academic progress or deal with exam stress. Learning Support can help with all of these. Some of these queries might relate to an additional need such as ADHD or Autism, however, this is not always the case. Students can access the service with or without diagnosis.
  • Q. Do you have experience of supporting students with additional needs at Wolsey Hall?

    A. Our learning support team has a wealth of knowledge and experience and many students at Wolsey Hall with additional needs have accessed the service for long and short-term interventions. We have experience with a range of needs and understand how those needs impact students’ learning experiences.
  • Q. What kind of learning support does Wolsey Hall Oxford provide?

    A. Wolsey Hall Oxford supports families through a range of services. Learning Support Consultations are available for general questions and guidance and Study Skills Support helps develop the practical skills students will need to manage their studies. Mentoring provides guidance and expertise on a range of topics including wellbeing and stress management, whilst Access Arrangements services can be used to support the application for concessions during exams. There is also a service for students with specific learning difficulties like dyslexia and dyscalculia. More information about each service can be found on our website.
  • Q. I want tutors to be made aware of my/my child’s needs. How can this be done?

    A. We believe information should be shared as appropriate within our trusted team at Wolsey Hall, with a mind to protecting the dignity of the student. In order for us to be able to support our students as an education provider, we sometimes need to be able to share information internally. Information that you supply can form an individual learning plan (ILP) which can then be shared with tutors. We would never share information beyond the trusted Wolsey Hall Team without your consent.
  • Q. I/My child may need access arrangements for their exam. Can you help?

    A. Access arrangements are organised between you and the exam centre. The advice is always to speak to them at the earliest convenience to explore what evidence you will need to provide. We can provide guidance around this as part of our access arrangements service.
  • Q. I have sensitive information about a learning need, and I am not sure who to share it with. Who do I pass this to?

    A. To access learning support, you do not need to provide any written reports or diagnosis letters. It may not be necessary to pass anything in writing to a member of staff so a verbal exchange could be all that is necessary. You have the right to share as much or as little as you’d like but it can be helpful to pass on key information to best help us support your studies. In the first instance, speak to your SPM and they can advise you on what to do next.
  • Q. I think I/my child needs a specialist private tutor or extensive support. Can you help?

    A. Academic, study skills and learning support sessions are all available through Wolsey Hall. Speak to your SPM or Admissions Officer for further information.
  • Q. How much does Learning Support cost?

    A. Learning support fees vary by service and more information about the individual fees can be found on our website. Sessions can be bought in individual or block bookings through a dedicated booking link.
  • Q. I/my child has an EHCP. What kind of support does Wolsey Hall offer for these students?

    A. All students have access to the Learning Support department through our paid programmes, including those with EHCPs. The Local Authority will also give guidance on how to access services and if funding is required, we advise that you speak to one of their representatives. We have lots of experience supporting students with EHCPs at Wolsey Hall but do this in a supportive role as we cannot be named as the school setting in section I as we are a homeschooling provider.
  • Q. What if some of the materials in the course don’t work for me/my child? Will you change them?

    A. Course materials are the same for all students and we include a multi-sensory diet of information to support many different learning styles. Sometimes these can be adapted at home to meet the needs of the students, but this will not be done by Wolsey Hall staff. We can assist in this process through the Learning Support Consultation service, and we welcome conversations about this.
  • Q. I want to work at my own pace because of my additional needs. Can I take longer than the stated course length?

    A. Courses have fixed end dates, and we find that these boundaries are largely helpful for our students. If courses do need to be extended or deferred, we have a complete guide about this which can be shared, as well as being found in our FAQ section on the Wolsey Hall website. Ultimately, students will be expected to finish their courses by the date specified and if you think this will be difficult for any reason, it is always best to have a conversation with learning support about this.
  • Q. We want to just have access to the course because we find the pressure of submitting assignments and deadlines too much. Is this possible?

    A. For our Primary phase students, students may be able to choose a route that only allows access to course content, but this does mean little to no tutor feedback which many of our families find useful. You should have a conversation with a staff member about this. Our secondary phase students are expected to submit assignments regularly and if this is not done, students may be subject to our dormancy policy. We understand that a range of learning support needs may make this more difficult, and we welcome conversations about this with individuals to find a solution so that the student can demonstrate progress. Ultimately, we expect students to make reasonable progress through their courses. Your SPM can provide further details regarding the Wolsey Hall dormancy policy on request.
  • Q. How can I contact learning support?

    A. Learning Support can be contacted at the email address: [email protected]