Move to Oxford
From Cirencester, Mr. Knipe and his staff moved to Fishponds, near Bristol; then in 1907, the organisation, now the Diploma Correspondence College, came to Oxford. The first address was in St. Aldates, just below Christ Church, and the name of the house was Wolsey Hall, and within a year the Diploma Correspondence College adopted the address as its name. When Christ Church decided to create a garden memorial to those of its members killed in the Great War, the row of houses on which Wolsey Hall was a part, had to be demolished. The college, retaining the name of Wolsey Hall, first moved to George Street and then in 1930, to 66 Banbury Road, its present home.
In the early years, the college concentrated mainly on tuition for teachers’ and theological examinations, but the field was ever widening and soon covered London Matriculation and University Degrees for London, Durham and Lampeter external students.
Early in the Second World War, Wolsey Hall was appointed by the War Office to give tuition by correspondence to members of H.M. Armed Forces, and has continued to respond to the increasing demand for tuition for London University degrees and diplomas. New courses are being drawn up continually to meet the syllabus requirements of the G.C.E. Boards and other examining bodies, and Wolsey Hall now maintains some 2,500 courses covering a wide range of academic and professional subjects including preparation for qualification requirements for lawyers, corporation and company secretaries, statisticians, bankers, hospital administrators, booksellers and many others.